Like any home appliance, air conditioners need a little TLC to deliver optimal performance. It's the Air conditionings that haven't been kept in top-notch condition that tend to struggle most in heat.
To make sure you don't lose your cool once the weather warms up, we asked the experts at Consumer Reports and air conditioning unit pros to identify the most common problems that appear with window and central air conditioners. They highlighted eight problems to troubleshoot now. Plus, you'll find our list of leading air conditioning system for little, medium, and big spaces, listed below.
The No. 1 issue impacts both window units and central Air Conditioning systems, and-- we enjoy to report-- it's the easiest to fix. Here are eight concerns to ask that will assist you keep your Air Conditioner at peak efficiency all summer season long.
1. Is the Filter Dirty?
No matter which kind of a/c unit you have, a stopped up filter limits airflow, decreasing efficiency and decreasing the ability to effectively cool the air. If you haven't cleaned up the filter in your window or portable air conditioning system just recently, ensure you do and after that inspect it periodically. For central AC systems, examine the filter maker's suggestion for when to switch in a new one. In CR's tests, filters last anywhere from three to 12 months.
Just keep in mind that if your system is running continuously or if you have family pets, you will require to change your filters more frequently. "When we get calls about central air units that aren't working well, 9 times out of 10 it's due to the fact that of a filthy filter," says Stewart Unsdorfer, owner of Central Heating & Air Conditioning in Cleveland.
What Matters to You Matters to Us
We check countless items so you can produce your best home.
2. Is It Too Sunny Within?
If your window Air Conditioner remains in a window that gets direct sunlight in the heat of the day, it'll have to work harder to cool your area. If you have an option, move it to a shadier area. If not, keep your shades and curtains drawn throughout the day to obstruct the sun and avoid it from heating up your house.
3. Is Warm Air Leaking In? Check the seals around your window Air Conditioner to make Continue reading certain hot air isn't getting in (or cold air isn't leaking out). Reseal around your unit with weather removing if essential.
" A lot of new window units come with insulation panels to place over the plastic adjustable side panels," states Chris Regan, CR's senior a/c tester. "However to make the most of efficiency, you'll still require to utilize weather condition stripping around the perimeter of the system. And constantly use the manufacturer's setup and security hardware."
4. Is Your Window Air Conditioning Vibrating? Air conditioning unit make plenty of sound, consisting of from the whir of the fan and the sound of the compressor cycling on and off. These sounds are typical. But if you hear a vibrating noise, it might indicate that your unit was installed improperly. Ensure it's sitting securely in the window and review the setup directions in your owner's manual to confirm that no actions were missed.
Central AC List
5. Is the Thermostat on the Right Setting?
With a clever or programmable thermostat, you can more easily control the temperature level in your house so that it's comfortable when you exist and a bit warmer when you're not. If the temperature level seems off, make sure the thermostat isn't exposed to direct sunshine, which might cause it to sign up the incorrect temperature.
6. Are the Registers Dirty or Blocked?
If you have a forced-air heating and cooling system, frequently vacuum the signs up to remove any dust accumulation. Make certain that furnishings and other objects aren't obstructing the air flow through your registers.
7. Are Plants Crowding the Compressor?
The outside compressor for central air conditioning needs appropriate air flow to work correctly, so make sure there's at least 2 to 3 feet of area between the compressor and any plants or structures. There should likewise be 5 feet of clearance between the top of the unit and any trees above.
8. Did You Keep In Mind the Annual Checkup? An examination by a HEATING AND COOLING (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) professional can capture any serious issues before they get worse and leave you hot and troubled. The specialist will check all the moving parts, along with the refrigerant, and recharge the system if necessary.
Required a New Air Conditioning?
If your room a/c is beyond repair, you can discover one that succeeded in our tests for as low as around $200 for a small system and upwards of $800 for a large one. Make sure you match the size of the air conditioning system to the space it's implied to cool. Listed below, we note models in each size that carried out well in CR's tests. You can discover more in our full a/c scores.